31 March 2009

Redlands!

So I had a little beef to settle at Redlands this year - last year I was insanely sick (raced anyways and then remained sick for about a month afterwards - I think I learned my lesson... I think) ; anyways, despite my efforts I couldn't finish, and was time cut on the crit stage. This year I wanted to cut at least 30 seconds from my prolouge time, finish, and try to make the top-20. Well, the first two I knocked out of the park, but bad placement (no more tail-gunning) going up the last climb on the Beaumont stage and up the finishing straight (behind a girl who blew a parachutte the size of Alaska) on the crit landed me in 33rd in the final GC, only about 15 min off the leader :P That sounds like a lot of time, but considering just a few places after me in the GC was well over 30 minutes off, I think I should be somewhat pleased that I limited the overall damage. I am by no means thrilled with my performance, but I can definitely find some solace with the 45 seconds I shaved off my time in the Prolouge, and by exceeding my expectations for the final stage - by remaining with the leaders for more then half of the Sunset, not getting lapped on that stage, and being able to finish (I mean really finish - cross the line and all... a lot of people were given pro-rated times and didn't get to cross the line)... so I guess it wasn't all bad.


Going forward I think I need to race a bit more - something tells me the few (relatively small) races I've entered haven't exactly been the ideal prep for such big races; climb more and get some more intensity! Lots to look forward to! Next up on the national front will be the Tour of the Gila, and then... idk we'll have to see (I'm definitely open to recommendations)!

Thanks for readin'
HS

No comments:

Post a Comment